In the past few years, there has been a huge shift from 2D to 3D modelling for building construction. In fact, construction companies are adopting this 3D modeling shift to streamline workflow and get more innovative results. The ultimate aim of model-based approach is to increase efficiency in work and coordinate project delivery.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is one such high-impact instance of model-based approach adopted by architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) professionals. In this, a digital representation of the building’s physical and functional characteristics is developed This helps create efficiency and cut down the number of iterations faced by construction and infrastructure companies. Construction companies are embracing BIM to get timely and effective work for projects.
Top benefits of BIM for construction
The benefits of BIM will be seen not only in infrastructure, but also in business. Companies that work on the BIM tool help to regulate data-rich 3D computer-aided visualization of design and structure. For businesses, BIM can help to reduce cost, re-work and delays.
Let us now check the top benefits of adopting Building Information Modeling (BIM) on infrastructure and business:
- Helps in Capturing Reality: Infrastructure designing has expanded its value by using better mapping tools and gaining access to project sites. Today, every infrastructure project starts with aerial imagery, digital elevation, and accurately capturing reality. BIM designers benefit from these inputs compiled together.
- No More Re-work or Time Spent : Having complete information of the project through a shared model, the BIM designer will not have any issues in the evaluation or assessment stage. A BIM Services provider equipped with BIM drawing tools has the advantage of being faster and delivers enhanced efficiency to the project. The process becomes much faster compared to 2D modelling. The user can count components with the computerized tool which brings down cost overheads.
- BIM Marketing: BIM has opened doors for companies to step into the construction sector. Construction companies can introduce new technologies to potential clients and use BIM marketing as a lead generation magnet.
- Positive Project Outcome: More than 48% of business owners say that BIM has impacted the overall project outcome in a positive way. It helps in improved client relationships, better outcomes, enhanced degree of satisfaction and reduces problems.
- Improved Collaboration: With BIM, sharing and collaborating with the model is easy because it involves a lot of functions which is only possible through digital workflow. By using BIM 360 solutions, a cloud system where project management functions are conducted in collaboration, users can review and provide their inputs over the project to take it further. With this improved collaboration, there is streamlined process of business work.
- Helps in Simulating and Visualizing: BIM software comes with some rich features, including simulation and visualizing, allowing designers to work according to daylight in different seasons. They can visualize the area as per the amount of sunlight it gets and how the area would look. This visualization lets stakeholders get a look and feel of what the completed project would look like with a drill down to individual component level.
- Reduction in Errors: Errors are common in business, especially in infrastructure projects. With BIM in use, there will be a dramatic reduction in errors and omissions in the actual construction phase. With BIM software, the designer can create a virtual design of the construction. This helps the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) team to know of potential issues and rectify them in the design stage itself.
- Resolving the Conflict on Early Stage: BIM comes with a fully equipped toolset that detects elements like electrical conduit or ductwork that usually runs into a beam. By modeling these in the initial stage, errors are solved and costly on-site clashes are reduced. The software also helps in ensuring a perfect fit of elements manufactured off-site.
- Detailed Work: Creating an infrastructure model using BIM will give a detailed result. This will enable knowledge transfer and ensure high performance execution.
Let us now check how BIM can benefit per profession:
- Architects: Architects are the major beneficiaries of this software because it is primarily used in the designing phase. An architect can bring his/her design to life digitally and assure stakeholders of the right kind of work being done for a particular project.
- Structural Engineers: There is no doubt that structural engineers receive good value from BIM. Elements like steel columns, beams and trusses are modelled by users to ensure its reliability and precision. A robust BIM software helps in managing elements to work cohesively.
- MEP Engineers: For MEP engineers, who largely work upon elements like duct systems and air handlers, BIM is considered to be a value accelerant. Usually, smaller elements like electrical switches and outlets prove challenging to fit into the larger scheme of things. This is where BIM’s role comes in.
Getting a building project executed is fraught with challenges at every step. Even a small oversight can lead to heavy losses. Building Infrastructure Modelling (BIM) proves to be a boon in preventing losses and giving a digital view of all parts of the construction project.
Utilise the expertise of a skilled and experienced CAD services company such as Digitise IT. We provide you with accurate, timely, and cost-effective BIM services that remain unmatched in terms of quality and value.